I love this gift! I’m pairing these with a copy of Fancy Nancy by Jane O’Conner. I love teaching with this character, and a tutu, wand, and boa seem perfect for a little girl like her. Besides, I have to giggle every time I think of a tutu tutorial. I know, roll your eyes (I just did!).
What you’ll need: (for a 2T/3T)
*2 yards tulle
*elastic (about 1″ smaller than the waist)
1. Sew the ends of the elastic together to create a circle.
2. Cut the width of your tulle in half. Cut 2″ strips of tulle. Don’t worry if the edges are jagged, because when you tie all of them onto your elastic, you’ll never notice.
3. Fold a piece of tulle in half with the loop on the top part of the elastic. Pull the ends through and tighten. Make sure that that knot is at the bottom of the elastic.
4. Repeat and repeat and repeat. Keep pushing the knots together to make it nice and full (and to cover the elastic).
What tutu is complete without a wand?
What you’ll need:
*8″ ribbon strips
*12″ dowel rod
1. Paint or color both ends of your dowel rod.
2. Starting at one end, spread some hot glue all the way around the dowel rod. Just put a few inches of glue so it doesn’t harden on you too quickly.
3. Start wrapping the ribbon, making sure that you overlap the edges to completely cover the dowel rod. Continue wrapping all the way up.
4. Put a dollop of glue on the end of the dowel rod. Also put about 1/4″ of glue on two opposite sides (essentially creating a straight line of glue). Center one of the strips of ribbon over the top. Press down the top and the sides. Repeat with another ribbon, but this time put the glue perpendicular to the first ribbon. Continue, alternating the direction with each ribbon.
5. To finish it off, take one last piece of ribbon. Wrap it around the very top of your dowel rod to hold all the ribbons down. Knot this ribbon, putting a bit of glue on it.
This could also be a fun little scarf.
What you’ll need:
1. Cut a strip of fleece that measures about 4″x24″.
2. Fold it in half lengthwise. Make cuts towards the fold (don’t cut through the fold!), leaving about 1″ between the end of your cut and the fold.
3. Space your cuts about 1″ apart.
4 responses to “12 Gifts of Christmas: Tutu, Wand, Boa”
Pingback: 12 Gifts of Christmas | a project at a time
Pingback: 12 Gifts of Christmas Reposted | a project at a time
Pingback: Very Hungry Caterpillar Party | a project at a time
Pingback: Happy Halloween! | a project at a time